Thursday, March 11, 2010

My koi fish's skin is peeling off. what should i do?

My koi fish have just been attacked by a racoon. One of my fish has been eaten. Another two of my fish have their skin peeling off and it looks like there's dirt in their skin. They were perfectly fine after the racoon attacked, but after about 12 hrs, the skin started peeling. their gills are also breathing faster than normal, and they are spitting out bubbles.Is due to stress? What should I do? All of my other fish have some minor scratches, and another one of my fish has a large blister on its lip. what should i do?
My koi fish's skin is peeling off. what should i do?
I would do a water test just to play it safe, test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I would also recommend the addition of rock salt. Email me with the volume of the pond and I'll give recommendations for dosing. You should consider constructing a pond cover made out of pvc and strong netting material. Use rocks or something heavy to keep firm on the ground. This will keep your koi safe unless your pond is huge.
My koi fish's skin is peeling off. what should i do?
I would add a small amount of salt to the water. In an aquarium, you add one tablespoon for every five gallons, but I'd go much lighter than that in your pond. Salt helps koi regain their general well-being after stressful things like moving, plus, it kills parasites. I'd add a few tablespoons of non-iodized (plain or Kosher) salt to the pond, just to help with the healing.


No comments:

Post a Comment